Situated in Norway Square, amongst the narrow streets of former fishermen’s cottages in Virgin Street, Teetotal Street, or Salubrious Place, this big, light, airy gallery was once the main body of the former Mariners Church.
The Society officially made the church our home in 1945 following the Second World War.
It currently houses the society’s annual exhibitions of paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolour, of prints from etchings or lino cuts and of woodcarvings and sculptures.
There are three main exhibitions of members work with new submissions for the Spring, Summer and Autumn shows. There are also separate exhibitions by invited artists interleaved between the main exhibitions.
The Society holds applications for membership in the second week of January when places become available.
Artists will need to bring between 4-6 pieces of their work to the gallery along with an application form which will be made available here.
Join our mailing list to be informed when applications open and for more information.
These are our Directors… Chosen from our Members cohort, our Directors meet regularly to steer and guide the Society.
Almost all are practicing artists and they perform duties for the gallery such as the annual selection of new members, curating, finance and managing projects for the improvement of the Society.